Do the police want to talk with you?
- 1. Never consent to a search.
- 2. Don’t make any statements to the police. Don’t answer their questions.
- 3. Leave if they will let you.
- Ask: “Am I free to go?”
- If the answer is “Yes,” then leave.
- If the answer is “No,” then ask: “Am I under arrest?”
- If the answer is “Yes,” then say: “I would like to speak to a lawyer,” and remain silent until you can.
- If the answer is “No,” repeat the process and otherwise remain silent.
- EXCEPTION: if you are being stopped for a traffic infraction, DO PROVIDE your name, address, driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance.